Another Habakkuk Day



The day has begun with a thunderstorm. I sit in a quiet white room and listen to the sound of the rain just outside the window. Raindrops are catching the morning light, falling from the tree branches just outside the window. It’s a soaking rain.

Lightning rips open the sky and finds its way to the ground. I count the thousands like I did when I was a child; listen to the thunderclap before it rolls off into the valley. The storm is close. The thunder comforts me. 

After one particularly booming episode, the rain beat down harder rattling into a roar. The sound of thunder, of rain becomes a reminder that so many things are not in our control.

Today I am remembering God is big. I need to remember. The morning storm is the only one on radar in an entire nation. I sit and wonder if it is just for me.

In this world, we can feel very small and powerless. The knowing that God is big, that He is control, is a great comfort to me, especially when I sit with questions with no answers.

We won’t walk through life without questions. We don’t have to look very far to see something we don’t understand, something we cannot get into context in our limited knowing.

The biggest question of all is will we only believe only in the rain or will we put our faith in the One who created it?

Are we willing to look at the culture reeling and the earth groaning, and speak words of faith when the answers to our questions aren’t easy to swallow?

Will we say with Habakkuk?

Though the fig tree should not blossom

And there be no fruit on the vines,

Though the yield of the olive should fail

And the fields produce no food,

Though the flock should be cut off from the fold

And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the Lord,

I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength,

And He has made my feet like hinds’ feet,

And makes me walk on my high places.
(Habakkuk 3:17-19 NASB)

Faith doesn’t see with the eyes.

Faith sees with the heart.

Faith rejoices in God’s salvation, is revived in God’s strength.

Faith walks forward in a fruitless place, and climbs higher to see the big picture.

Faith remembers God is big in the midst of a storm.

Sometimes I have "Habakkuk days" when I am full of questions. I want my questioning days to end with words of faith. I want stand on the "rock that is higher than I" and find strength in my salvation and praise upon my tongue.

Do you have "Habakkuk days?" Or am I the only one?

Comments