"After the Lord's Supper"

Wind me tightly                 
a spool
red
upon the Savior's
shoulder.
Chain me
next to His
heart.
Right my vision
that I may bow
down
to the One
lifted up.
"Remember me"
unleavened body
upon my tongue.
Red the fruit
tinged upon
my lips.
I unravel 
at the wonder
that
He
ate 
drank
the Last
the Servant
became
the Sacrifice.         
Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”
 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
(Matthew 26:26-30 ESV)


We see through the glass darkly....



"After the Lord's Supper" (2005) came from the creative mind of artist Devorah Sperber. The image reinterprets the famous painting of Leonardo Da Vinci in what seems to be a pixelated mosaic, but it is actually composed of 20,736 spools of thread hung on ball chain. The thread colors hang with intent so that the viewer will recognize the familiar painting in a new and fascinating way.

How fitting this piece seems for this subject taken from the accounts of the Gospels. At this meal, Jesus turned the kingdom of God "upside down."

When viewing the spools through the glass sphere, the image rights itself---- the image of Christ coming to the front and center.

(This artwork is on display at the Crystal Bridges Museum, Bentonville, Arkansas in the temporary exhibition, "Wonder World.")

Comments